Pages

Sunday, September 8, 2013

End of Summer

 One of my recent projects has been to get some new grass seed planted in an unused portion of the chicken coop. Of course ... being unused ... this corner was in a less than ideal condition.


In fact, such was its jungle-like state (shame on me) that some of the hennies found it an ideal hide-out!


You can just see a grey tint under the greenery ...


Hello!


Fortunately, with the help of my mom and sister, we made short work of the weeds ... 

 I feel like a minor Alexander the Great sweeping through Egypt! ;)
.........

Other end-of-summer happenings ...


 Beet greens from the garden make great (and economical) chicken food!




 ..............




 Roses from a bush that has never given us blooms before ... lovely!

........




 A new recipe for brussel sprouts ... ;)

........


 Mums in front of the picket fence. These flowers always speak to me of autumn.


........

Speaking of flowers, wine barrels make amazing planting pots! Aren't these gorgeous?



........





I love this ... someone gave me a wall hook in the shape of a chicken years ago for a birthday gift, because I was kind of known as a "chicken lady" in years past. ;) Using it currently to hang aprons!



.......


Spoils from my grandmother's recent garage sale ...





I love rag rugs. They are one of my favorite things.




This is another favorite thing!! I've been wanting to find something pretty to hang lavender on, that is more efficient than twine hanging over the side of my bookcase with my button jar on top of the twine ... and my mom found the perfect thing at the sale. A good ol' tobacco rack!

 I never thought I'd consider a tobacco rack "pretty" ... but ... it really is, and I'm really happy with it. ;) 



After hanging it for me, my dad told me that all that I need now is a Longhorns emblem to hang on it.

Which, I assured him, in the immortal words of Winnie-the-Pooh, "would NOT be a good plan."

;)
........

Okay ... one more favorite thing. I had to pick up this old quilt at the garage sale, because of the sweet story behind it ... about 25 years ago it was for sale in my grandma's antique shop, and because of its frayed condition, my mom trimmed one of the ends off and used the fabric to sew heart shaped patches where they were needed. See there?



It's a lovely quilt ...


and I'm so happy no one ever snagged it before I found it and heard its history. :o)

........

Happy end-of-summer to you!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your Grandma sure had good garage sale stuff! ;O) Love the mums and the rag rugs.
    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a large lavender at my house I have been delaying pruning. I don't want to kill it, but it is far too large for its little home. Good photos and thoughts :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes, lavender can definitely be run away with itself ... I think anytime after the buds have come out is safe for cutting them back. Happy pruning! ;)

      Delete
    2. The problem with my lavender is the long leafy stocks. Below the leaves is a long dead stock and ugly stock. But I am worried that if I cut below the leaves it will die. I will try to send a photo when I have a chance :-)

      Delete