Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

A Day in Amish Country!

Since stopping in Lancaster County, PA for the first time last October, it has definitely become one of my favorite spots to visit! The old-fashioned charm and peace of the Amish countryside is difficult to find many places nowadays, and driving through its tiny villages and surrounding farmland is soothing and therapeutic for me. :) I could wander about the area for days! I was blessed to be able to visit Lancaster for the second time recently, and wanted to share of few pictures.

An Amish homestead. These farms are gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous! Neat and tidy to the core, not a grass blade out of place or a speck of mud on the whitewashed buildings -- and the flower gardens are works of art. Even the washes blowing in the wind are picturesque! :o) (But maybe that's because my weird country gal mind loves the concept of a clothesline in use. A clean hen house full of fresh cedar shavings also gives me a thrill. Not sure I should be admitting to these things.)





 You can see the team plowing in the distance...

I just had to take a picture of this street name ... because, funnily enough, "Kinzer" is one of my grandmother's nicknames for me. Had to laugh when I spotted the street sign -- I think that was a first! :)



 So beautiful.


At one point during our adventure, we took a wrong turn and came across this little and quite old-looking stone cubbyhole! Not sure what it might have been used for, but fun to imagine, yes? :) This is one of my favorite things about traipsing around Pennsylvania -- there is so much historical richness that you never know what you might encounter when you go for a drive. Covered bridges, ancient cemeteries (I love walking through old cemeteries), and so much more, sometimes hidden in the oddest places! Go visit. You'll love it!

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 30, 2013

    Wonderful trip! I do wonder what that hillside hideaway is?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 30, 2013

    ;)) ;)) i love u!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too dearie! :O)Thanks for commenting! ;)

      Delete
  3. I was exploring PA just today, the town of Marietta is pretty :-) I agree, PA is a fun place to explore :-)

    ReplyDelete