Pages

Friday, June 13, 2014

In Which I Realize I AM My Mother. Or, Herb Rubbed Roast of Beef.



......

First, let me explain that there's a running joke in our family, which is that my mum could not keep to a recipe if her life depended on it. We have come to take it for granted that anything we eat of her making has been indelibly marked with her stamp. :o) Thus, when she begins her usual response to questions of content with "Weeeeell, it called for this, but I didn't think it sounded great, so I put that in instead, oh, and I left the other out, and I added ..." we smile and nod and say, "Yes, mother, that goes without saying!!"

Not so much me, however. I'm a bit less creative than my mama in the kitchen and usually stay within safe bounds of the instructions, which, after all, are there for the purpose of instructing. (At least, that was always my philosophy.) 

But last Monday I tried a new recipe for roast and after dinner was done, the kitchen cleaned, the evening begun and I had time for reflection, I found myself staring at the numerous notes and additions and scribbles on the page of the recipe ... and I realized, laughing, that it hardly resembled the one I had begun with. Mama, you've marked me for life and I don't know how it happened!! 

Not that that's a bad thing. :o)

......

Incidentally, I think this is one of my favorite beef roast recipes now ... loooove the herb combination.

  • 2 t. dried oregano
  • 2 t. dried basil
  • 2 t. crushed rosemary
  • 1 t. dried thyme
  • 2 t. pepper
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 - 3.5 to 4 lb. beef roast
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 4 carrots, cut up
  • 3-4 potatoes, cut up
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2/3 cup chicken or beef broth 
  • 3 T. flour (for thickening, and this is optional)
  • 4 cloves minced garlic

Mix oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, pepper, and salt, and set aside. Coat roast with olive oil on all sides. Sprinkle herb mixture over meat and rub in.

In a crock pot, stir together carrots, potatoes, onions, broth, flour, and garlic. Place roast on top of vegetables. Add extra water if necessary. Cover and cook on low heat for 11-12 hrs or high heat for 5-6 hours, or until done.

Slice the roast thin for yummy sandwiches the day after!

......

(Original recipe from "Better Homes and Gardens" Cook Once Eat Twice. Changes made by me.)

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 14, 2014

    That was THE best roast! :O) I love Mondays. ;o)
    ~m

    ReplyDelete