Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Things Present



The freeway traffic is loosening up as I take the exit ramp and descend upon the busy section of my small town. As I turn left out of the main business area and head inward toward the “old” section, I roll my windows down to let the sunshine in, and let my Celtic music CD play.
.....................

There’s a housing development on one side of me, high-growing trees on the other. 6:30 pm smells of dinners cooking in the homes on my left waft into my car, giving me a sort of warm-and-fuzzy feeling.
.....................

I cross two sets of railroad tracks and am finally in the old part of town. Kenny Chesney’s “Don’t Blink” comes on the radio. As I pass the grocery store with the McDonalds and the gas station in front, I see a Daddy and his little daughter, fresh from a fast-food visit, standing beside his big truck as he prepares to open it. It makes me smile.

.....................

I turn right at the elementary school, and am immediately engulfed by a tunnel of trees as I wind up an incline and away from the town community. I smell lovely woodsy scents. When I emerge, I am in the mountain foothills, countryside all around me and a winding two lane road to traverse, houses popping up only every so often now. It’s so beautiful!
......................

At one point, the trees clear and I drive straight through a large meadow where hay is harvested during the summer, and where fog collects in the mornings at the least temperature change. As I near my last left-hand turn, I stick my head partially out the window and breath in, smelling grass. It’s a wonderful smell, fresh and fragrant and unsullied.
......................

I slow down for a dip in the road, then turn right and am on gravel. “10 miles per hour” says the sign nailed onto the power pole. Except -- a couple power poles later -- another sign which has clearly been spray painted over says “15 miles an hour.” Just don’t ask. It’s better that way.
......................

I ascend the last small gravel hill and turn into my own rather circuitous little driveway. My house sits away back from the road. It’s a sweet looking house. I know my family is there, my momma has made dinner for me as she so faithfully does when I’m working, and she’s going to be so excited about the canning jars I brought home from my sweet Grandma today. :) 

......................

This life holds such beauty. I often get sucked up in things as I wish them to be and spend too little time appreciating them for what they presently are. Tonight’s drive home from work was so lovely and filled with God-given sweetness!  Which is why I'm dedicating this post to the enjoyment of  ... Things Present. :)


2 comments: